Friday, January 8, 2010

what a day...

Today I was reluctant to leave the warm and comfortable confines of the hotel. I soldiered on and had to take the train bake to the airport, exchange more money, get a train ticket, take the train into Oslo central station. Thats where the fun started.
Upon arrival I knew I had to fin a certain Subway line to get to the campus, trouble was I was not sure where to find that. I was told to find information booth on the second floor, I get up there and look a round but cant find it. I do find a sign pointing downstairs that says information. Back down I go (hauling two extremely heavy suitcases, my laptop bag and backpack), information is NOT downstairs. Back up stairs I go, oh did I mention the elevator was broken?
finally I find someone in an official looking uniform who tells me the subway is down three flights of stairs. I did good on all the stairs except the last one, where I lost control of a suitcase and it tumbled down the stairs and almost killed a woman. I shouted "look out" but it didn't register, I should really learn the equivalent in Norwegian.
I got on the right train (this is totally due to the kindness of the guy who sold me tickets, he gave me very specific instructions bless his heart). I get to the Blindern campus, and get lost trying to find the building I need (lost pulling two suitcases in snow and up three flights of stairs, not super awesome). Finally I get to the Administration building where I get help from a very nice girl who gave me directions let me store the luggage there while I found the proper building. I signed up for my room and got directions to get to my building. Another fun walk across campus with heavy luggage that really does not like pulling in the snow. I missed my buss by a minute, so I had to stand in the cold for 15 minutes. It was about -3 F today. its 3:00 and the sun is going down.
When I get to Bjerke (I think it is pronounced Behr-ke, but I could be really wrong about that), I have a fun walk to my building which was surprisingly complicated to get in. There are so many little things that are different. The building is old; 1960's vintage and triangular in shape. My room is not glamorous or super awesome, but I have a private bathroom and a heater I can turn waaaaay up. There is a grocery store that is a block from here, which is very convenient. There is supposedly a gym here, I don't know where and seeing the condition of the building I doubt it is very nice.
Tomorrow I venture to Ikea to buy blankets and whatever kitchen wares I must get.

No comments:

Post a Comment